Poor LeadershipTue, 23 October 2007
With Sepp Blatter and Michel Platini at the helm of FIFA and UEFA respectively, how can anyone have confidence in the leadership of international football?
The policy of continental rotation has finally been abandoned by FIFA, only after the debacle of the selection of Brazil to host the 2014 World Cup.
And Platini’s ideas about the organization of European football, including the numbers of foreign players and how young players come through the ranks is based on an idealized but false notion of the history of football, and lacks any appreciation for the commercial reality of the modern professional game in Europe. I refer to the following articles:
- “Platini critical of Wenger policy”
- “PM rejects plea from Uefa chief”
- “Platini’s plans come under fire”
- “Platini snubbed by Euro leagues”
- “Platini fears for game’s future”