If Arsenal finish this season as Premier League runners-up, it won’t be the first time that a club has finished second in the English league three seasons in a row.
The following three clubs have achieved this “feat” before:
- Preston North End – 1891, 1892, 1893
- Manchester United – 1947, 1948, 1949 (In fact, Manchester United managed it four times in five seasons, finishing runners-up in 1951 as well.)
- Leeds United – 1970, 1971,1972
Likewise, Manchester United winning the league three seasons in a row would not be a first. The following three clubs have achieved this before:
- Huddersfield Town – 1924, 1925, 1926
- Arsenal – 1933, 1934, 1935
- Liverpool – 1982, 1983, 1984
However, if Arsenal do finish runners-up this season, it would be the first time ever that the clubs finishing first and second have been the same three seasons in a row.
Further, Arsenal, the club finishing second three times in a row, have previously won the title three times in a row while Manchester United, the club finishing top three times in a row, have previously finished runners up three times in row.